For many people, a truck is an essential lifestyle tool allowing them to carry bulky goods that may be required for work or recreation. The problem is that the goods in the back have no protection from the ravages of the weather, or from the prying eyes of would-be robbers.
The solution to this problem is a Tonneau cover, also known as a truck bed cover. Adding a tonneau cover to your vehicle improves its looks and gives it a streamlined and classy appearance.
Why Purchase a Hard Tonneau Cover?
There are many benefits of installing a tonneau on your vehicle, but there are some attributes which are unique to hard tonneaus.
- They will bear the weight of snow and will remain waterproof for longer than soft covers.
- They are more secure since it is not easy to breach the hardcovers. It is easy to cut through a soft cover and steal the contents. Hardcovers typically lock in place so you can properly secure your goods. This means that you don’t have to remove your tools from the truck every night.
- A hard tonneau cover is durable and while saving you money on daily trips will also increase the resale value of your vehicle.
- Apart from protecting the goods from weather damage, the tonneau will also protect the truck bed from long-term weather damage, keeping out rust-causing
- It can improve fuel consumption by up to ten percent, so your investment will eventually pay for itself. The bed of an LDV tends to create air drag that increases fuel consumption, so adding a tonneau offers real financial benefits.
- It prevents the accumulation of dirt in the truck bed
- It protects your goods by covering them up so that they don’t tempt thieves
- It protects your goods from water damage, keeps goods clean and free of dust, and prevents them from blowing out of the truck.
5 Best Hard Truck Bed Tonneau Covers Review
1. Tonno Pro HF-250 Black Hard Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover 2002-2018 Dodge Ram 1500, 2003-2018 Dodge Ram 2500, 3500 | Fits 6.4′ Bed
The Tonno Pro is 6.4’ long and is made from marine grade black vinyl, which is double sided and tear resistant. In combination, the marine grade stitching, front flaps and gasket seal will keep your goods dry and dust free. It also has a tailgate seal. The sub-panels and the supporting beams are all made from durable aluminium, coated with black epoxy. Since vinyl does not dent this tonneau will look good for years.
This product is easy to instal using the patented side locking system. You will need just ten minutes to complete the installation, with no tools or drilling required. The cover comes fully assembled, so there is no need to install space taking rails, and when you take it off the rails go with it, so you have full bed capacity.
This is a tri-fold cover that has three hinged panels that fold up to open the bed. Tri-fold covers are a popular choice as they are rigid but light. You can remove the cover in just three minutes. It is light enough for one person to accomplish the task.
The product comes with a detachable LED light to illuminate the bed up when you require it. You also get a bottle of vinyl treatment spray. The manufacturer covers this product with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Relatively inexpensive
- Simple to install with patented side locking system
- Limited lifetime warranty
- The plastic latches are a little flimsy
2. BAK Industries BAKFlip MX4 Hard Folding Truck Bed Cover 448121 2014-18 GM Silverado, Sierra 6′ 6″
The BAKFlip MX4 is a 6.5’ hard foldaway cover that clears the bed effectively so that the entire bed is open for use. Prop rods will keep the cover out of the bed area. It has been designed to clear the brake light when folded up. There is no need to ever remove the cover since folded up the only obstruction you’ll face is to the rear window.
It can be raised from either side of the vehicle. It has plastic latches that keep it in place. The cover is made of several heavy-duty aluminum panels that are painted with a UV and scratch resistant matte coating. The tailgate seal is designed to allow you to close the cover whether or not the tailgate is open. The pull string system is easy to use. and effortlessly closes the heavy-duty aluminum, which with most other systems, would close with difficulty.
The low-profile cover is flush mounted and has an attractive finish that will enhance your vehicle’s good looks.
The tonneau is easy to install with no drilling required. Everything that you need to accomplish the installation is included in the kit. The product is covered by a three-year warranty period. It is made in the USA.
- 100% full bed access when folded up
- Durable UV scratch resistant matte finish
- The low profile cover offers your vehicle a stylish finish
- Easy installation
- Three-year warranty
- Very secure
- Relatively expensive
3. MaxMate Premium Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover 2009-2014 Ford F-150 (Excl. Raptor Series) | Styleside 5.5′ Bed | For models without Utility Track System
Designed for a 5.5’ bed, the MaxMate is made from double-sided marine grade vinyl. It has durable powder coated aluminum frames. The heavy-duty aluminum can support up to four hundred pounds evenly distributed. This is a three-fold tonneau cover that is connected by hinges. The stainless-steel clamps will not break or perish in the sun. the crossbars come fully assembled and when folded up will ensure that the bed is fully accessible. Two lanyards hold the folded top in position when you want to travel with the cover-up. It is light and easy to remove if you need to do so.
Installation is easy, and all hardware and installation instructions are included in the kit. No tools are required. Relies on a locking tailgate for security.
This product comes with a ten-year warranty and is relatively inexpensive. The cover is vinyl so a determined thief could cut is and remove the contents of the bed
- Easy installation
- Ten Year warranty
- Stainless steel clamps
- The vinyl is not as secure as aluminum
This cover will fit 5.5’ truck bed. It is made from dual sided marine grade scuff resistant vinyl. There are solid metal panels beneath the vinyl to secure your goods. The clamps ensure that the cover stays taut and secure at all times.
This product is fully assembled and easy to install. Installation should be accomplished in ten minutes with no need to drill since the cover is installed by means of simple clamps. The side panels and support beams are all made from durable aluminum which is coated with black epoxy.
To open you simply fold the cover up and keep it upright with the nylon ties made for that purpose
The product is covered by a limited lifetime warranty. The one downside of this product is that it does not open the full bed, opening just two-thirds of the way.
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Dentproof and scuff resistant Plastic latches may perish over time
- Easy ten-minute installation
- Durable and dent proof
- It does not open the full bed
This product is specifically designed for the Ford F150 built between 2015 and 2018, but could also be a fit for other vehicles with a 5.5’ bed. The solid panels are constructed from durable aluminum coated in a fiber glass reinforced polymer. The textured finish is UV resistant and dent and scratch resistant. It is equipped with EPDM seals to keep the weather out. It can bear three hundred pounds of evenly distributed weight.
The product has slam latches which easily secure it. It is easy to unlatch. The top is secured by the tailgate lock. It efficiently folds away allowing you full access to your load bed. This is accomplished by pulling the cables on either side of the bed. The folded top is secured by buckle straps, which allow you to use 66% of the bed space for transport. Prop rods will afford the full space by folding it up against the cab, without obscuring the third brake light. This tonneau is easy to install and comes with a clear set of installation instructions
Manufactured in the USA, it has a limited lifetime warranty.
- Fiberglass coated aluminum is durable
- Slam latches are very secure Plastic connectors
- Easy Installation
- Limited lifetime warranty
- A little pricey
Stylish and Functional
Take your truck to a new level of style and functionality when you add a tonneau cover. At the same time improve your fuel efficiency by streamlining your vehicle and reducing drag. The choice of which tonneau would best suit your needs will depend on your budget, the amount of bed access that you require, and the vehicle that you drive. Whatever your choice, in the end, you are assured of a product that will protect the contents of your vehicle, save you money and improve the resale value of your truck.