Owning a truck can be a lot of fun, but it can also be extremely convenient. You can transport all kinds of different materials, go on cross-country road trips, and even help out a friend with a big move. Well, what do you do if it rains while the bed of your truck is filled to the brim with your friends stuff? Nothing. There’s nothing you can do once that rain starts pouring in. Unless you have a cover on your truck, all of your things are going to get soaked and possibly ruined. That’s where a roll-up tonneau cover comes into play.
Experts Picks: Top 5 Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
Why Should You Choose a Roll-Up Truck Bed Cover?
First of all, they look amazing, but there’s plenty of other reasons why choosing to purchase a roll-up tonneau cover is in your best interest.
They Can Improve Your Fuel Efficiency
Many experts believe that adding a hard tonneau cover can reduce the aerodynamic drag that is caused by the wind being pushed into the tailgate of the truck.
They’re Easy to Clean
All you need is a little warm water and some mild soap to clean off the muck that builds up. You can also use a vinyl cleaner because they contain protectants that can prolong the life of your cover.
All of Your Belongings Can Be Protected From the Elements
The roll up cover protects your bed from being rained or snowed on. It also stops things from flying out of the bed during windy weather.
No One Can See What’s in Your Bed
You don’t want people looking into the bed of your truck, noticing that you have thousands of dollars worth of tools in there. Using a roll-up tonneau on your truck keeps everything hidden from wandering eyes.
Before you go out and buy the first roll-up tonneau you see, it’s important to understand what’s on the market.
This roll-up tonneau cover is for 2002-2018 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks and 2003-2018 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks. The 24oz marine grade vinyl top is dual coated, which makes it perfect for keeping out the elements. The side rails and clamps are coated with heavy duty aluminum powder, making it nearly impossible for them to break.
The roll-up cover seals to your truck with strips of Velcro and is secured with a latch lock system at your tailgate. When done properly this cover isn’t going anywhere, keeping your belongings safe.
On the end of each of the side rails is an adjustable tension system which is used to keep the cover on nice and tight. No need to worry about wrinkles with a system like this.
The horizontal crossbars offer extra support when the cover is laying flat or rolled up.
With this cover you still have full access to the entire bed of your truck, so you don’t have to worry about not having enough storage space.
- The installation of the Tyger Auto TG-BC1D9014 TOPRO Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover is pretty simple, so you can spend less time on the installation and more time driving.
- The latches by the tailgate are extremely easy to work with, so you don’t have to fight trying to get out your tools at the worksite.
- Unfortunately, the cover allows a little bit of water in, but not enough to damage any kind of property.
The premium twill weave material used on this cover is engineered to be resistant to water, mold, UV and dirt. The texture of the twill weave material doesn’t trap any kind of dirt, making it easier to clean. Speaking of cleaning, there’s no need to use any kind of chemicals on this cover. All you need to do is rinse it down with some water and you’re good to go.
The rails and bows are made from heavy-duty aluminum, so there’s no risk of them bending while folding it up.
The cover comes complete with tension adjustment gages and a heavy-duty Velcro side sealing system, making it fit nice and tight for the bed of your truck.
The Lund 96893 Genesis Elite Roll-Up Tonneau Cover is designed specifically for your truck’s make, model and year, so you don’t have to worry about purchasing the wrong size.
The multi-finned rubber seal on the front and rear rail protects your truck bed from dust and moisture.
- The Lund 96893 Genesis Elite Roll-Up Tonneau Cover is extremely easy install, leaving you with more time to hit the open road.
- The locking clips are made out of plastic so they tend to break a lot more often.
- Water seems to be able to leak in where the straps are located in between the truck and the foam seal.
This cover is for 1988-2006 Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500 2500 3500 HD (Including 2007 Classic) trucks and it comes with dual coated 24oz marine grade vinyl top and heavy duty aluminum powder coated side rails and clamps. What more could you really ask for?
The roll-up cover seals to the truck with Velcro strips on the sides and is safely secured with a latch lock system at the tailgate. There’s no need to worry about your cover flying off mid-travel. You’re able to adjust the tightness of the cover yourself with the adjustable tension system on the end of the side rails. When the cover is laying flat and rolled up, extra support is offered by the pre-assembled horizontal crossbars. Nobody likes having to drill into their truck, but there’s no need to do any type of drilling to install the MaxMate Premium Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover.
Don’t worry if this cover gets a tear in it. The MaxMate Premium Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover comes with a no-hassle 10 year warranty!
- The MaxMate Premium Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover is super easy to install.
- The added support bars are bowed to provide better support and water flow off of the top.
- The cover seals everything extremely well, making sure that everything in your truck stays dry.
- The support bars rely on only a vinyl strip and Velcro to keep it up, so adding some extra support might be a good idea.
- Hopefully you know what you’re doing because the instructions that come with MaxMate Premium Roll Up aren’t the greatest.
The Gator Roll up is made with durable double coated vinyl, making it twice as thick to keep out unwanted water.
This roll-up is perfect for you if you use your truck to haul around your expensive tools. The latches are heavy duty, which provide you with extra security from intruders.
This cover will always be as tight as you need it to be with the manually adjustable tension controls. You’ll never have to be concerned with snow or rain getting into the bed of your truck.
Are you like most people and don’t get too excited about having to drill holes into your truck? Well, if you are then this roll-up is perfect for you because the install doesn’t require any kind of drilling!
If anything happens to your roll-up within the first year you’re absolutely covered under their warranty.
Are you tired of roll-ups that restrict the access to the bed of your truck? No need to look any further. This roll-up allows you to use the entire bed of truck.
- The installation of the Gator Roll-up is pretty simple, so you won’t need to call your buddy over to help you.
- The cross bars help to provide some added support to the cover.
- Unfortunately, some people have reported that the cover doesn’t hold water too well after it rains.
This roll-up is a bit more on the pricier side, but it’s definitely worth every single penny. With the dual-latching system, which can be accessed from either side of your truck, you’re provided with extra security for your possessions, leaving your mind at ease any time you need to walk away from your vehicle.
The Truxedo TruXport Roll-up cover is made of high-quality leather grain fabric that helps protect your cargo from the driest, wettest, or muddiest of conditions. What’s the point of covering up your things if they’re just going to get ruined every time you encounter some undesirable weather?
Unlike other models that only come with a one year warranty, or a limited warranty, the Truxedo TruXport comes with a five year warranty that covers everything, even the fabric!
- The installation of this roll-up is so easy that it only requires one person!
- The Truxedo TruXport is made of only the highest quality materials.
- The latches are a little hard to open.
- The cover tends to roll around a lot when you reach highway speeds.
After you find the perfect roll-up for you, it’s time to install it! As you could probably tell, the installation is a pretty quick and easy process.
- The first thing you want to do is attach the rails that came with your tonneau cover to the bed of your truck.
- Next, you’ll align the rails and tighten all of the hardware until the rails are loosely held in place. Make sure you check the alignment, and if it looks okay, fully tighten all of the hardware.
- If your cover came with any tail-gate or cab-side seals, you’ll want to install them now.
- Set the cover on top of the rails to make sure that everything sits evenly. If it doesn’t, then you need to go back and check your rail alignment and adjust it as needed.
- Your final step is to check the perimeter for any visible gaps or bulges. If there isn’t any, you did a great job and you’re ready to go! If there are some gaps or bulges you need to go back and make sure everything is aligned correctly.
Buying the perfect cover for the bed of your truck is an extremely important decision. One of the biggest mistakes first time buyers make is not buying the correct cover for their specific truck. Just remember, always make sure you measure the bed of truck before making any kind of purchase or you could end up having to find out the hard way that the cover doesn’t fit, and no one wants to have to pay to ship something back. Good luck finding the perfect topper for your truck. You won’t regret it once you’re driving down the road, not having to worry about all of your stuff flying out.