The design of a truck bed cover is deceptively simple. When broken down, a truck bed cover is just something that covers the cabin of a truck. This can be anything: it can range from being a flimsy tarp to a group of boards or shutters to a device that will open and close said shutters from the side of the truck. No truck is created equal and no truck bed cover is created equal either. Some covers extend above the cab of the truck, and some just seal the cab of the truck. There are certain things that should be considered to choose the right truck bed cover for you.
Choosing Truck Bed Covers
- Determine what you will be carrying in the bed of the truck. What does a truck bed cover protect from? It protects from rain and other debris that, if your truck does not have a cover, will ruin the precious materials in the cabin, or bed, of the truck. Many people use trucks for moving. They place things in the bed that will be affected by rain and other things. However, the contents of these things generally do not rise too high and a cover that seals the cabin of the truck will work well in these situations. But if the contents extend above the bed, then it may be a good idea to consider a cover that also extends above the bed. This all depends on what you will be keeping inside of the bed of the truck.
- Cheap covers can still be effective covers. It all depends on what the truck is exposed to. Many agree that cheap pricing of something will ultimately lead to cheaper quality. This is a gray area when it comes to truck bed covers. The main purpose of a truck bed cover is to protect the bed from rain and debris. And as mentioned previously, not all of these are created equal. Some covers are flimsy and do not cost much; some are tough and cost a lot. Which one is best for you all depends on where you will be leaving the truck. If you leave it in a garage and hardly ever drive it, it may not be necessary to buy a very expensive cover.
- What will the truck be used for? Related to the previous tips, certain trucks have certain uses. Some are used for hauling things. In this case, having a flat and extremely sturdy cover would be really effective. Some other people own trucks for large social events, such as beach outings or tailgating at sports events. In this case, it may be a better idea to get a cover that has a more complicated design. There do indeed exist truck bed covers that are specifically designed for events like tailgates.
- Will the truck need a roof rack? This is loosely related to the previous tip. Although it is possible, it is not ideal to place a canoe or a bike into the bed of the truck and put a cover on it. For example, if you decide to go on a camping trip, it would be ideal to get a cover that is equipped with a roof rack, instead of a traditional truck bed cover. The roof rack will keep the canoe intact much easier.
- Will you be carrying anything in addition to the things inside the bed that will be covered? Again, this is related to what you are generally using the truck for. Some truck bed covers come equipped with straps that will allow you to carry things on top of the cover. This is a consideration to make if you intend to use your truck to haul a lot of things.