Driveways built using asphalt require frequent maintenance. Asphalt or pitch can not withstand extreme weather. During summer, the asphalt exposed to sunlight can get hard because of oxidation and become fragile. Even a small crack can become large potholes and gradually ruin the whole asphalt driveway. Sometimes the coal tar on asphalt melts and sticks under your shoes or car tire when the temperature is too high. In winter, because of temperature drops, the asphalt tries to shrink. As a result, a crack appears on the driveway surface. The solution to these problems is an asphalt sealer. This article here will cover some of the best asphalt driveway sealing for you.
# Top 5 Best Asphalt Driveway Sealer in the Market – Editor’s Pick
1. Best overall product: EnduraSeal 100% Acrylic”Wet Look” Semi Gloss Concrete Sealer Solvent Base
This is a solvent-based sealer. The solvent is mixed with a polymer to create the seal. Endura seal is perfect for safeguarding your asphalt from peeling and cracking. It gives a glossy wet look to your driveway.
- This sealer is one hundred percent clarified acrylic.
- It gives a glossy look to the driveway.
- It is very durable, protects the asphalt from cracking, and protects the asphalt or concrete from chemical spill or dirt.
- One hundred percent acrylic and has no oil.
- It gives a polished wet look and is safe from a chemical spill.
- One gallon covers almost 150 to 300 square feet.
- Protects from getting a yellow stain.
- Lower odor.
- Have to apply twice to make it work properly.
- If not applied correctly, it can create bubbles.
- Tools or brushes used to apply this can not be used again.
Enduraseal is a cost-effective driveway sealer. Its coverage area is substantial. If applied correctly, it can last for a long time. Also, your driveway looks beautiful because of its glossiness.
2. Best runner up: DryWay Water-Repellent Concrete Sealer
Dryway water-repellent concrete sealer has water repellent property which makes it unique. It keeps the natural look of your driveway. It has silane and siloxane, which can easily penetrate cracks. It is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. Dry Way concrete sealer can prevent damage from ice and coating of salt.
- Being a water-based silane and siloxane-type sealer, it can easily penetrate through any crack.
- It does not get a yellowish stain or get cracked easily.
- It never lets moistures confine inside thus does not let grow any algae or mold.
- It is not flammable and can be considered non-toxic.
- It also prevents rebar corrosion of concrete.
- Water repellent
- Water-based sealers can penetrate cracks easily.
- Protected from ultraviolet instability.
- Porousness property does not confine moisture.
- It is volatile organic compound compliant and is not flammable.
- Can not paint.
- It cannot withstand heavy rain and absorbs water which in terms produce crack and potholes.
This product does not perform as told by the manufacturers. It does not last very long. It can not withstand negative water pressure, which should have been a significant concern.
3. Best mold inhibiting concrete: AQUA-X 11 Clear, Penetrating Stone and Concrete Sealer – Professional Grade
Fungus and molds tend to grow in concrete or asphalt cracks. Aqua-x 11 helps to prevent the growth of any fungus or mold. It is one of the best asphalt driveway sealers for this reason.
It helps to keep the natural look of your driveway, and being durable protects the concrete or asphalt perfectly. It can prevent ultraviolet instability like a yellowish stain, pealing, damage from salt, or water freezing in cracks or potholes. It has a breathable property that does not let moisture trap in a while being applied.
- Aqua-x 11 is a very durable sealer that protects the concrete from any damage from the salt coating, stain, or potholes.
- Aqua-x 11 helps any moisture within it to vaporise through its breathable technology.
- It covers a large area and is very easy to apply.
- Prevent mold or fungus growth.
- Prevent water from entering the concrete.
- It can cover a large area of up to 600 square feet.
- It can be applied quickly and dries very fast.
- A very small percentage of volatile organic compounds and almost odour less.
- It does not cover areas as advertised.
- Product packaging is not good.
Aqua-x 11 is very good for preventing the growth of mold and algae. It is pretty durable and contains only a small amount of VOC compound. It also has no foul odour. It can be a good choice for your concrete or asphalt driveway.
4. Top rated: Aquaphalt 6.0 Permanent Asphalt Repair
Aquaphalt is a top-rated asphalt repair product. It is unique due to its responsive, high efficiency for both concrete and asphalt. It can be used almost everywhere. You can use it in the driveway, highway, even in runways and potholes, and in repairing manholes. It is a very cost-efficient product. It covers an area of five square feet at a thickness of 1 inch. It can be used for both residential and commercial purposes.
- Aquaphalt can be used for both concrete and asphalt and can repair them permanently.
- It comes premixed and needs only water to use it.
- It does not contain any volatile organic compound, thus making it an environment-friendly product.
- It can be used immediately after applying.
- Can repair both concrete and asphalt.
- Premixed and solvent-free.
- It needs only water to use.
- No volatile organic compound.
- Quick-dry property.
- Can apply paint after twenty-four hours.
- Aquaphalt is difficult to use as it gets hard to quick. It takes only fifteen minutes to get rock hard after applying water to it.
- Packaging can be problematic. Some users say they found the product inside in already hardened condition.
Aquaphalt is very good for large cracks or potholes. However, it is a bit expensive and covers very little area. Also, keep in mind the difficulties of using it as it gets hard very quickly.
5. Best wet concrete look: SX5000 DOT Approved Solvent Based Silane Siloxane Penetrating Concrete Sealer, Brick Sealer, and Paver Sealer
Armor SX5000 is a popular sealer. It’s been approved by the department of transport in the United States of America. This is a silane siloxane penetrating sealer. It is very durable and works great under the surface. It creates a unique coat that can prevent the surface of the concrete from absorbing water by almost ninety-five percent. It keeps the natural look of your driveway or walkway. It contains the concrete or asphalt from getting stained. It can be used in both interior and exterior. Armor sx5000 can be applied in driveways, walkways, garages, bridges, etc.
- It can create a hydrophobic coating when applied, which prevents the concrete from absorbing surface water, thus increasing its durability. It can also safeguard the concrete from salt or ice.
- It keeps the natural look and can prevent stains, or in a word, it is UV resistant.
- It contains a very small amount of volatile organic compounds, thus making it environment-friendly.
- Creates hydrophobic coating.
- UV resistant.
- It can cover a large area. It can cover up to 175 square feet, for a porous surface and a smooth one, it will cover up to 225 square feet.
- It can last for seven to ten years if applied two successful coats on the concrete.
- Low volatile organic compound.
- Evaporates quickly.
This is a perfect sealer for concrete, brick, or pavers. Though it is a bit expensive, it will give you long-lasting protection for many years.
6. Best penetrating concrete: Quikrete Concrete and Masonry High Gloss Sealer
Quikrete is a multipurpose high solid concrete sealer. It can be used to cure new concrete, so no water is required for curing and to seal old or existing concrete. It gives a beautiful semi glossy finish. It also helps the concrete from water absorption. It works on all types of concrete. Specially stamped concrete, brick, or natural stone. It can be used for both interior and exterior. It should be applied using a foam roller for the best performance.
- It can be used as a curing material instead of water on newly deployed concrete where frequent water is required.
- It can perfectly seal concretes and protect them from any chemical or oil spill or stains from food or grease.
- It can cover a large area depending on the surface type.
- Can cure and seal.
- High solid, almost 20 percent.
- Water-resistant, chemical, or oil spill-proof and also works well against UV.
- It covers 200 square feet per gallon, depending on the concrete surface.
- ASTM C-309 compliant.
- Product packaging is not good.
- High temperature tends to solidify the seal before use if not preserved well.
Quikrete does an excellent job in curing and sealing. It almost does as it is advertised.
7. Best saving money: E-Z Stir Driveway Asphalt Filler/Sealer
E-Z stir driveway sealer is one of the best pavement sealers. Its durability protects your driveway efficiently and cost-effectively. It gives a glossy black look to your driveway. This sealer can cover a large area and lasts long enough. E-Z is very easy to use. Just stir and apply as its name suggests.
- It gives a beautiful wet black look to your asphalt driveway.
- Very easy to use; just stir and apply on asphalt.
- Twenty to forty-eight hours from the time of applying, you can drive cars on it.
- It is suitable for driveway crack up to ⅛ inch.
- Shiny black finish.
- Four times rubberized and reinforced with silicon for increased durability.
- It Covers up to 250 to 500 square feet depending on the asphalt surface type.
- Fast dry makes it possible to touch it after four hours and drive on it after 24 to 48 hours.
- The glossy effect does not last long.
E-Z stir sealer is a good choice for your asphalt driveway. It is durable and can cover a wide area.
8. Best for multi use: ToughCrete Concrete Sealer – 1 Gallon (Covers 600SqFt) – Concrete Sealant
Toughcrete concrete sealer is a penetetrating sealer made of siloxane. It is a water-based sealer. It is eco-friendly and has been approved by the United States Department of transport. It is a very durable and high solid product. It protects the concrete from crack, peal, or damage from salt. It can be used on driveways, walkways, garage floors, or in the basement. To apply it on any painted surface, you have to remove the previous protective coat. It is very easy to use.
- This sealer is made from siloxane and a water-based product.
- It has a nongloss finish.
- It is very durable and can protect concretes from water absorption damage or from salt.
- It can cover a large area.
- Made of siloxan.
- Water repellent.
- Nontoxic and non-flammable.
- Approved by the US Department of transport.
- It covers 600 square feet of area depending on surface type.
- Ten years of long-lasting warranty.
- Not good against stains.
Nothing is perfect, and it is valid for Toughcrete too. Despite its poor protection against stains, it can still perfectly protect your driveway from water absorption damage or salt damage and efficiently covers the cracks.
9. Best long life: Henry HE532410 5 Gallon Driveway Asphalt Resurfacer
If you’re tired of bad-quality asphalt sealers, then Henry’s driveway asphalt resurfacer will not disappoint you. This sealer is very durable and can be used to fill cracks and uneven surfaces of your driveways. It is effortless to use and covers a large area. It also dries very fast.
- It can cover rough driveway surfaces and fill cracks quickly.
- It is very durable and easy to use.
- It covers a large area.
- It dries very quickly.
- Cover rough surfaces and fill cracks.
- Seventime more rubberized formula for increase durability.
- Stir and use.
- Can cover 250 to 500 square feet per five gallons.
- Can walk on it after four hours and drive cars on it after 24 hours of applying.
- Seven years guarantee.
- It only works on asphalt. Not suitable for concrete.
- In some cases, it starts to wear off after a year or two.
Henry asphalt resurfacer is a great value product. It works perfectly for your asphalt driveway. It is easy to use and dries very fast.
10. Best concrete sealer: Essential Values Concrete sealer– Acrylic Emulsion Formula (5 Gallon)
Essential values concrete sealer is an eco-friendly concrete sealer. It is made from siloxane and is very durable. It can be used outdoor and indoor like a fireplace or chimney or garage and basement etc. It protects your concrete from almost all types of environmental damage. It gives a nice glossy look to your concrete. But you have to clear the surface of any dirt before applying it.
- This concrete sealer follows acrylic emulsion formula, which makes it very durable and long-lasting. It can protect concretes from a chemical spill, stains, salt, and even from mold or algae. It is also very protective against freezing and thawing.
- The US department has approved it of transport.
- It gives a shiny wet look to concrete surfaces.
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor.
- It dries fast and can be used after 24 hours of apply.
- Made of siloxan and it is nontoxic.
- Glossy finish and can protect from moisture.
- It covers up to 1500 square feet per gallon of sealer.
- To get the glossy finish, you have to apply three coats of sealer, one hour between each.
- Three coat finishes only cover a 500 square feet area.
Essential values concrete sealer is very affordable. It provides good protection for concrete and is also very easy to use.
11. Best amazon choice: Rain Guard-CR-0356 Micro-Seal 1 Gal Clear Penetrating Silane Siloxane Professional Grade Water Repellent Sealer
RainGuard Micro seal is silane and siloxane-based sealer. It is solvent-free and effortless to use. Rain Guard can be used on concrete, wood, or cement. It can repel water, oil, or grease. This product is very durable and protects the concrete from almost any kind of weather problem. You can use paint on it.
- This product was made using the Micro LOK formula, and it is a silane and siloxane-based product and solvent-free also.
- RainGuard is a high solid product.
- It can repel water, oil, or grease.
- It is very eco-friendly and has almost no volatile organic compound.
- It protects concrete from salt, freezing, stain, and cracks.
- Micro lok formula for creating a unique water repellent coat.
- Contain a hundred percent solid.
- UV resistant and weatherproof.
- Prevent mold and algae growth.
- Volatile organic compound compliant.
- ASTM C309 complied.
- It does not always work as advertised.
This product is amazon’s choice product. It has many valuable properties that help in sealing your concrete perfectly. It can protect your concrete from almost any weather condition. It even prevents the growth of fungus and algae. RainGuard is very expensive but offers you the best protection for your concrete.
12. Best high gloss solvent: Armor AR500 High Gloss Solvent Based Acrylic Concrete Sealer and Paver Sealer
Armor AR500 is a high gloss and penetrating, solvent-based sealer. It is a pure acrylic sealer with high solids. It is specially designed for decorative concrete or stamped concrete. It is durable and protects your concrete from any kind of damage.AR500 gives a shiny-looking finish.
- Armor AR500 is a penetrating pure acrylic sealer.
- It contains a high level of solid, making it durable and withstand any kind of weather condition.
- It is specially designed for decorative concrete.
- It gives a glossy finish to the concrete.
- Can cover up to 175 square feet area per gallon for a porous concrete surface. On smooth surfaces, it can cover up to 200 to 225 square feet of area.
- Pure acrylic solvent-based.
- High solid up to 25 percent.
- Glossy finish helps in dust proofing and works as a water repellant. Also prevents oil spill or grease.
- Fast dry.
- Resistant to UltraViolet and stains.
- Glossiness does not last long.
- Become slippery.
If you want to give a super glossy wet look to your concrete driveway, then you should go for Armor AR500.
Asphalt or concrete gets damaged over time due to extreme weather, salt, or chemical spill. To keep them in good condition, you have to choose the best asphalt driveway sealers.
How will you choose one? First, you have to decide what type of sealer you want. If you wish to cover your driveway, then you should go for a normal surface sealer. If you want to fill potholes or large cracks, then you need a filling-type sealer. If your driveway is new and you have to cure them, then some sealers can cure and at the same time cover the surface.
The most common type of sealer is a penetrating sealer. It works inside the concrete by creating a hydrophobic barrier that defends the structure from moisture or water damage. If you are worried about molds or algaes, some sealers are specialized for preventing the growth of fungus or molds. Or if it’s just that glossiness you want, then go for high gloss sealers.
Finally, if you have decided on the type of sealer, you have to look for a warranty. Because usually, the more significant the warranty period, the better the product tends to be. Then you must calculate how much area you need to seal. Depending on that, the price of the seal will vary. Go for the affordable one, or you can choose the expensive one if you want.
Driveway sealers are very important. As asphalt or concrete tends to get damaged due to use and extreme weather. So they need frequent maintenance at least once a year, depending on the sealer you use. So if you can apply a suitable sealer, it can last longer and give a beautiful appearance. I hope this article will help you to choose the best asphalt driveway sealers according to your needs.
Should you seal your asphalt driveway?
Does sealing asphalt extend life?
What if it rains after sealing the driveway?
Can you roll on the driveway sealer?