If you’re a proud owner of a pickup truck, you may already be aware of the pitfalls of having a vehicle with an open back end.
Whether it’s rain, snow, hail, or one of those instances where frogs and other amphibians fall from the heavens, your truck bed can and will get filled with all of these if it isn’t covered properly.
This is where tonneau covers come in. There is a tonne of the tonneau cover if you know what I mean to choose from, such as tri fold tonneau cover, folding tonneau cover, soft tonneau cover, retractable tonneau cover, maxmate tonneau cover, retractable cover, hard cover, hard folding tonneau cover, roll up tonneau cover, folding cover, tyger tonneau cover, soft folding cover, bed liner, etc.
Designed to be able to cover the entirety of a vehicle’s back part with ease, these brilliant inventions can truly do wonders for a person’s pickup truck, no matter how tough the rainfall or whatever it is else that falls from the sky happens to be.
Now, tonneau covers come in all shapes and sizes, and although they’re all inevitably similar, there are still some points of differentiation worth taking into consideration. For example, whether you’d prefer to go with a hard tonneau cover or one made out of a more flexible material. Both of these options have their pros and cons and in this article, we’ll venture to point them out to you, so you have a clearer idea of what version of these you should go for.
Right then folks, without further ado, here’s the deal.
|1||LEER HF650M | Fits 2019-2022 GM Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500 with 5.8 FT Bed | Hard,...||$954.72||Buy on Amazon|
Why Purchase a Hard Tonneau Cover?
There are many benefits of installing a tonneau on your vehicle, some are below.
- They will bear the weight of snow and will remain waterproof
- They are more secure since it is not easy to breach the hardcovers. It is easy to cut through a soft cover and steal the contents. Hardcovers typically lock in place so you can properly secure your goods. This means that you don’t have to remove your tools from the truck every night.
- A hard tonneau cover is durable and while saving you money on daily trips will also increase the resale value of your vehicle.
- Apart from protecting the goods from weather damage, the tonneau will also protect the truck bed from long-term weather damage, keeping out rust-causing
- It can improve fuel consumption by up to ten percent, so your investment will eventually pay for itself. The bed of an LDV tends to create air drag that increases fuel consumption, so adding a tonneau offers real financial benefits.
- This helps prevent dirt from accumulating in the truck bed
- It protects your goods by covering them up so that they don’t tempt thieves
- It protects your goods from water damage, keeps goods clean and free of dust, and prevents them from blowing out of the truck.
15 Best Tonneau Covers for Your Pickup Truck Bed Protection
1. Tyger Auto TG-BC1D9014 TOPRO Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
This roll-up tonneau cover is for 2002-2018 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks and 2003-2018 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks. The 24oz marine-grade vinyl top is dual coated, which makes it perfect for keeping out the elements. The side rails and clamps are coated with heavy-duty aluminum powder, making it nearly impossible for them to break.
The roll-up cover seals to your truck with strips of Velcro and is secured with a latch lock system at your tailgate. When done properly this cover isn’t going anywhere, keeping your belongings safe.
On the end of each of the side rails is an adjustable tension system that is used to keep the cover on nice and tight. No need to worry about wrinkles with a system like this.
The horizontal crossbars offer extra support when the cover is laying flat or rolled up.
With this cover you still have full access to the entire bed of your truck, so you don’t have to worry about not having enough storage space.
- The installation of the Tyger Auto TG-BC1D9014 TOPRO Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover is pretty simple, so you can spend less time on the installation and more time driving.
- The latches by the tailgate are extremely easy to work with, so you don’t have to fight trying to get out your tools at the worksite.
- Unfortunately, the cover allows a little bit of water in, but not enough to damage any kind of property.
2. Tonno Pro HF-250 Black Hard Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
The Tonno Pro is 6.4’ long and is made from marine grade black vinyl, which is double-sided and tear-resistant. In combination, the marine-grade stitching, front flaps, and gasket seal will keep your goods dry and dust-free. It also has a tailgate seal. The sub-panels and the supporting beams are all made from durable aluminium, coated with black epoxy. Since vinyl does not dent this tonneau will look good for years.
This product is easy to instal using the patented side locking system. You will need just ten minutes to complete the installation, with no tools or drilling required. The cover comes fully assembled, so there is no need to install space-taking rails, and when you take it off the rails go with it, so you have full bed capacity.
This is a tri-fold cover that has three hinged panels that fold up to open the bed. Tri-fold covers are a popular choice as they are rigid but light. You can remove the cover in just three minutes. It is light enough for one person to accomplish the task.
The product comes with a detachable LED light to illuminate the bed up when you require it. You also get a bottle of vinyl treatment spray. The manufacturer covers this product with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Relatively inexpensive
- Simple to install with patented side locking system
- Limited lifetime warranty
- The plastic latches are a little flimsy
3. BAK Industries BAKFlip MX4 Hard Folding Truck Bed Cover
The BAKFlip MX4 is a 6.5’ hard foldaway cover that clears the bed effectively so that the entire bed is open for use. Prop rods will keep the cover out of the bed area. It has been designed to clear the brake light when folded up. There is no need to ever remove the cover since folded up the only obstruction you’ll face is to the rear window.
It can be raised from either side of the vehicle. It has plastic latches that keep it in place. The cover is made of several heavy-duty durable aluminum panels that are painted with a UV and scratch resistant matte coating. The tailgate seal is designed to allow you to close the cover whether or not the tailgate is open. The pull string system is easy to use. and effortlessly closes the heavy-duty aluminum, which with most other systems, would close with difficulty.
The low-profile cover is flush mounted and has an attractive finish that will enhance your vehicle’s good looks.
The tonneau is easy to install with no drilling required. Everything that you need to accomplish the installation is included in the kit. The product is covered by a three-year warranty period. It is made in the USA.
- 100% full bed access when folded up
- Durable UV scratch resistant matte finish
- The low profile cover offers your vehicle a stylish finish
- Easy installation
- Three-year warranty
- Very secure
- Relatively expensive
4. MaxMate Premium Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
Designed for a 5.5′ bed, the MaxMate is made from double-sided marine-grade vinyl. It has durable powder coated aluminum frames. Every heavy-duty aluminum frame can support up to hundreds of pounds evenly distributed. This is a three-fold tonneau cover that is connected by hinges. The stainless steel clamp will not break or perish in the sun. the crossbars come fully assembled and when folded up will ensure that the bed is fully accessible. Two lanyards hold the folded top in position when you want to travel with the cover-up. It is light and easy to remove if you need to do so.
Installation is easy, and all hardware and installation instructions are included in the kit. No tools are required. Relies on a locking tailgate for security.
This product comes with a ten-year warranty and is relatively inexpensive. The cover is vinyl so a determined thief could cut is and remove the contents of the bed
- Easy installation
- Ten Year warranty
- Stainless steel clamps
- The vinyl is not as secure as aluminum
5. Lund 969364 Black Hard Fold Tonneau Cover
This cover will fit 5.5’ truck bed. It is made from dual sided marine grade scuff resistant vinyl. There are solid metal panels beneath the vinyl to secure your goods. The clamps ensure that the cover stays taut and secure at all times.
This product is fully assembled and easy to install. Installation should be accomplished in ten minutes with no need to drill since the cover is installed by means of simple clamps. The side panels and support beams are all made from durable aluminum which is coated with black epoxy.
To open you simply fold the cover up and keep it upright with the nylon ties made for that purpose
The product is covered by a limited lifetime warranty. The one downside of this product is that it does not open the full bed, opening just two-thirds of the way.
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Dentproof and scuff resistant Plastic latches may perish over time
- Easy ten-minute installation
- Durable and dent proof
- It does not open the full bed
6. Gator FX3 Hard Folding Tonneau Truck Bed Cover 2015-2018 Ford F150 5.5 FT Bed
This product is specifically designed for the Ford F150 built between 2015 and 2018, but could also be a fit for other vehicles with a 5.5’ bed. The solid panels are constructed from durable aluminum coated in a fiber glass reinforced polymer. The textured finish is UV resistant and dent and scratch resistant. It is equipped with EPDM seals to keep the weather out. It can bear three hundred pounds of evenly distributed weight.
The product has slam latches that easily secure it. It is easy to unlatch. The top is secured by the tailgate lock. It efficiently folds away allowing you full access to your load bed. This is accomplished by pulling the cables on either side of the bed. The folded top is secured by buckle straps, which allow you to use 66% of the bed space for transport. Prop rods will afford the full space by folding it up against the cab, without obscuring the third brake light. This tonneau is easy to install and comes with a clear set of installation instructions
Manufactured in the USA, it has a limited lifetime warranty.
- Fiberglass coated aluminum is durable
- Slam latches are very secure Plastic connectors
- Easy Installation
- Limited lifetime warranty
- A little pricey
7. Lund 96893 Genesis Elite Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
The premium twill weave material used on this cover is engineered to be resistant to water, mold, UV, and dirt. The texture of the twill weave material doesn’t trap any kind of dirt, making it easier to clean. Speaking of cleaning, there’s no need to use any kind of chemicals on this cover. All you need to do is rinse it down with some water and you’re good to go.
The rails and bows are made from heavy-duty aluminum, so there’s no risk of them bending while folding it up.
The cover comes complete with tension adjustment gages and a heavy-duty Velcro side sealing system, making it fit nice and tight for the bed of your truck.
The Lund 96893 Genesis Elite Roll-Up Tonneau Cover is designed specifically for your truck’s make, model, and year, so you don’t have to worry about purchasing the wrong size.
The multi-finned rubber seal on the front and rear rail protects your truck bed from dust and moisture.
- The Lund 96893 Genesis Elite Roll-Up Tonneau Cover is extremely easy to install, leaving you with more time to hit the open road.
- The locking clips are made out of plastic so they tend to break a lot more often.
- Water seems to be able to leak in where the straps are located in between the truck and the foam seal.
8. MaxMate Premium Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
This cover is for 1988-2006 Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500 2500 3500 HD (Including 2007 Classic) trucks and it comes with dual coated 24oz marine grade vinyl top and heavy-duty aluminum powder coated side rails and clamps. What more could you really ask for?
The roll-up cover seals to the truck with Velcro strips on the sides and is safely secured with a latch lock system at the tailgate. There’s no need to worry about your cover flying off mid-travel. You’re able to adjust the tightness of the cover yourself with the adjustable tension system on the end of the side rails. When the cover is laying flat and rolled up, extra support is offered by the pre-assembled horizontal crossbars. Nobody likes having to drill into their truck, but there’s no need to do any type of drilling to install the MaxMate Premium Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover.
Don’t worry if this cover gets a tear in it. The MaxMate Premium Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover comes with a no-hassle 10 year warranty!
- The MaxMate Premium Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover is super easy to install.
- The added support bars are bowed to provide better support and water flow off of the top.
- The cover seals everything extremely well, making sure that everything in your truck stays dry.
- The support bars rely on only a vinyl strip and Velcro to keep it up, so adding some extra support might be a good idea.
- Hopefully you know what you’re doing because the instructions that come with MaxMate Premium Roll Up aren’t the greatest.
9. Gator Roll Up Tonneau Truck Bed Cover 2014-2018 Chevy Silverado GMC Sierra 5.8 ft Bed
The Gator Roll up is made with durable double coated vinyl, making it twice as thick to keep out unwanted water.
This roll-up is perfect for you if you use your truck to haul around your expensive tools. The latches are heavy duty, which provide you with extra security from intruders.
This cover will always be as tight as you need it to be with the manually adjustable tension controls. You’ll never have to be concerned with snow or rain getting into the bed of your truck.
Are you like most people and don’t get too excited about having to drill holes into your truck? Well, if you are then this roll-up is perfect for you because the install doesn’t require any kind of drilling!
If anything happens to your roll-up within the first year you’re absolutely covered under their warranty.
Are you tired of roll-ups that restrict the access to the bed of your truck? No need to look any further. This roll-up allows you to use the entire bed of truck.
- The installation of the Gator Roll-up is pretty simple, so you won’t need to call your buddy over to help you.
- The cross bars help to provide some added support to the cover.
- Unfortunately, some people have reported that the cover doesn’t hold water too well after it rains.
10. Truxedo TruXport Roll-up Truck Bed Cover 271801 14-17 GM Full Size 5’8 Bed
This roll-up is a bit more on the pricier side, but it’s definitely worth every single penny. With the dual-latching system, which can be accessed from either side of your truck, you’re provided with extra security for your possessions, leaving your mind at ease any time you need to walk away from your vehicle.
The Truxedo TruXport Roll-up cover is made of high-quality leather grain fabric that helps protect your cargo from the driest, wettest, or muddiest of conditions. What’s the point of covering up your things if they’re just going to get ruined every time you encounter some undesirable weather?
Unlike other models that only come with a one year warranty, or a limited warranty, the Truxedo TruXport comes with a five year warranty that covers everything, even the fabric!
- The installation of this roll-up is so easy that it only requires one person!
- The Truxedo TruXport is made of only the highest quality materials.
- The latches are a little hard to open.
- The cover tends to roll around a lot when you reach highway speeds.
11. Gator Covers – Gator ETX Soft Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
If you require a soft ‘n’ simple tonneau cover that you can roll up and so uncover the contents of your pickup truck quickly and easily, this model from Gator Covers can be a perfect weapon of choice. The covers coming from this Gator Covers company are made 100% in the US, so you can rest assured that you’ll be able to install these easily on a variety of US-made pickups. (And some models made abroad, too.)
Probably the greatest thing about this tonneau cover would be the fact that it uses a simple clamp system for installation. So, all you need to do to set this thing up would be to simply clamp it on the bed of your pickup truck and that’s it, Bob’s your uncle.
This tonneau cover mounts on the inside of the bed rail, which gives the whole back end a sleek and low-lying look. Also, there’s a limited lifetime warranty on the frame, as well as a rather hefty 10-year warranty on the tarp itself.
- Easy clamp-on design
- Instant access to truck bed by rolling off the softcover
- Low profile design
- Mounted on the inside of the truck bed rails
- 10-year warranty on the tarp
- Limited lifetime warranty on the frame
- Some users reported flapping in windy conditions
- Some users reported leaks
12. MAXMATE – Soft Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
As our entry number two, we’ve got yet another interesting tonneau cover solution that can truly work wonders for folks looking for a simple and elegant soft roll-up cover for their pickup truck bed. Made out of heavy-duty marine-grade vinyl, this tonneau cover boasts excellent durability properties and protection against the elements – no matter how rough they happen to be.
Other than this marine-grade vinyl, this MAXMATE pickup truck also comes with aluminum side rails, which won’t add that much weight to the whole arrangement, but will add toughness. As far as mounting this thing is concerned, there’s more good news – you won’t need to modify your car because this thing comes with special stainless steel clamps.
As far as the opening and closing of this cover is concerned, or rather – rolling it up or down, the thing is secured by two parallel Velcro straps – so, opening and closing it is as simple as securing a kid’s shoe with one of those Velcro thingies. A piece of cake.
- Made out of marine-grade vinyl
- The cover is sealed and held in place by two Velcro straps
- No drilling easy installation
- Adjustable tension system
- 10-year no hassle warranty
- Some users complained about this cover being to wavy in the wind
- Some folks have complained about gaps upon finishing the installation
13. Tyger Auto – Top T3 Soft Tri-Fold Truck Tonneau Cover
Here we have a tonneau cover model that represents a sort of bridge between a soft tonneau cover and a hard one. The thing is, this pickup truck bed-covering solution from Tyger Auto represents a de facto hardcover, so to speak, that can be folded in three. This allows you to open up the truck bed only partially if you need something from the back of it, without having to open it all the way.
Similarly to the product above, this model is made out of marine-grade vinyl and the frames have been coated with heavy-duty aluminum. This ensures that the entire structure is sound and that it will be able to withstand the elements, as well as the other stresses that a tonneau cover suffers through regularly.
There are also some pre-assembled horizontal crossbars involved in this structure to offer further support to this cover once you’ve installed it.
- Easy installation (no drilling required)
- Comes with pre-assembled horizontal crossbars
- Comes with instructions on how to install this cover
- Stainless steel clamps
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Some users complained about the stitching showing signs of decay after a while
- Some folks may not like the 3-part design
14. BAK – BAKFlip MX4 Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
Representing the high end of the scale for tonneau covers when the price is in question, this model from BAK is a top tier tonneau cover build specifically for Ford F-150. The years of production that this cover will fit are 2015 through 2018.
The design choice the folks at BAK decided to go for includes a three-part design that allows you to open just one, or two parts of the cover if you don’t want to open it all the way. Of course, if you do want to open it, you can fold all the three compartments and then access the entirety of your truck bed with ease.
As far as the installation itself is concerned, it’s all done with clamps, so you won’t have to drill or otherwise adjust your truck to fit this cover. As long as the model is Ford F-150 and it was made anywhere between years 2015 and 2018 (including the years themselves, of course), you can rest assured that you’ll be able to fit this cover quickly and easily without any trouble.
- Easily installed with no drilling required
- Can be secured to the truck bed lining with clamps
- Made out of aircraft-grade aluminum
- Lightweight design
- Durable prop rods
- Some users complained about scratches on arrival
- Only works on Ford F-150
15. Truxedo – Leather-Grain Vinyl 5-inch TruXport Soft Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
Last but not least, as our entry number 5, we’ve got yet another tonneau cover that you open and close by rolling it back and forth. To do this, you have to unlock the tailgate latches, which otherwise are there to protect the cargo and the entrance to it before you venture to roll up the cover itself.
As far as the construction of this tonneau cover is in question, the thing’s made out of high-quality leather-embossed vinyl, which is tough enough to take on whatever Mother Nature plans to throw at it next.
When it comes to setting this thing up on your pickup truck, you won’t need more than half an hour to install this thing. To do this, you won’t need any special tools, nor would you need to drill or otherwise modify your car.
- Easy, no-drill installation
- Secured by tailgate latches
- Made out of high-quality embossed leather
- Simple, roll-up design
- 5-year warranty
- Some users complained about a gap between the tarp and the head plate
- Some users have complained about the lack of appropriate fasteners
Buying a Tonneau Cover: Extensive Guide
Tonneau covers are not only a grand piece of equipment for protecting the cargo you’re transporting. There’s an entire tonneau cover industry out there that makes tonneau covers for purposes of style and making your pickup truck look cooler.
Now, what you have to determine right off the bat and before buying a cover such as this would be what is the issue you mean to resolve by obtaining such a cover. For example, if you simply want a stylistic improvement over your old thing, a simple tonneau cover with some flying colors and cool design can be an excellent solution for you.
On the other hand, if you want to protect your valuable cargo from the elements and other problems that can befall something placed in the back of a pickup truck – you may want to look more into the toughness properties of a particular tonneau cover model. (Usually, you can see the features listed in the description of a product in question, because most manufacturers of these covers will be more than happy to brag about their product.)
One of the biggest issues with tonneau cover installation would be the fact that it often means you’ll have to do some preparatory work on your truck before you can fit it cover itself in the bed of the truck.
On the other hand, some manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure their tonneau covers can slip right into a truck bed with almost no preparatory work at all. That said, such tonneau cover models are typically model-specific, so you have to make sure you but the right sort of cover for the car you have. (Otherwise, it won’t work, of course.)
That said, some models come between these two distinct sorts, so to speak. They usually can be fitted on a wide variety of pickup trucks with relatively little effort, so you shouldn’t feel discouraged from trying some of these on for size, in case you like them but they require ‘some assembly’. After all, it’s usually a matter of drilling a couple of holes and screwing in a couple of nuts ‘n’ bolts. Nothing too scary, for sure.
The Question of Compatibility
Speaking of drilling holes, and measurin’ stuff with a tape measurer, with tonneau covers there’s always the question of compatibility. You see, one of the worst problems with tonneau covers is the fact that they sometimes don’t fit the truck you bought them for.
This can lead to all, as we mentioned above, situations where you need to drill holes, cut through pieces of your tailgate, or otherwise modify your trusty four-wheeler – which many folks understandably aren’t crazy about, to put it that way.
So, if you don’t feel like cutting your car up for the sake of installing a tonneau cover, consider purchasing a model that you can fit on your truck straight away, with no additional modifications needed.
Even though cleaning a tonneau cover may seem like a walk in the park (and it is – but with proper tools and cleaning solutions), some folks still manage to get it wrong and mess up this back part of their car by using improper means of maintenance, so to speak.
So, to make the best choice when it comes to the cleaning solution for your tonneau cover, make sure that it says in its description that it’s safe to use on the material your cover is made out of. For example, if your tonneau cover is of the soft kind and made out of vinyl to a great degree, what you want to do is make sure you don’t use a chemical solution that can hurt the vinyl on it. Even though your tonneau cover will be able to survive one or more encounters with such a cleaning chemical (they are made to be tough and resilient), you run the risk of thinning it out and damaging it over time, which can be quite bad.
As you probably already know, tonneau covers can be made out of several different materials. One type of tonneau covers usually is made out of more than one material, because it incorporates softer parts for the cover and harder ones (such as metal plates) for a better structure,
Thus, tonneau covers can be mostly split into two main groups: soft and hard. Soft tonneau covers are typically made out of vinyl, or some sort of canvas. These materials may also be further coated with some protective material to make them more resilient against the elements. On the other hand, there are the hard tonneau covers – and they are often made out of aluminum plates that are then covered with some sort of canvas or vinyl for additional protection, as well as aesthetic appeal.
What is the Purpose of a Tonneau Cover?
Improved Fuel Efficiency
When it comes to equipping your beloved four-wheeler with a tonneau cover, it’s not all about protecting the cargo from snowfall and hail.
Believe it or not, there is quite a lot of evidence suggesting that covering the back part of your pickup truck reduces the air resistance, which in turn leads to better aerodynamics, which then means your motor requiring less fuel to run.
Safer Transport of Cargo
… especially if this cargo is wont to pop out of your trailer willy-nilly. (If it’s turnips you’re transporting, for example.)
The deal here is quite simple – you have something in your trailer that can fall out of it because it cannot be fastened efficiently enough. So, you use a tonneau cover to put over it and so protect the contents of your trailer. No spilled goods, no wasted money, no angry drivers wanting to beat you up because a runaway potato from your trailer broke their windscreen.
Improve Resale Value
If you’re planning to sell your truck and are looking for ways to increase its value for the potential buyer, installing a tonneau cover can be a great move.
You see, a tonneau cover gives your pickup truck an appearance of a smooth and well taken care of vehicle, so a relatively small initial investment can return to you twofold if you manage to sell the car at a steeper price than you would have got sans the cover.
Last but not least, there is a decent number of folks out there who buy tonneau covers simply to give their pickup truck an aesthetic boost.
Indeed, it’s not that difficult to see why a piece of cloth or a rigid structure that spans the entire surface of your pickup truck bed can be a great area for expressing your artistic side. You can paint whatever you want on that thing and then flaunt it in front of your neighbors to your heart’s content. (Or, you can pay someone to paint it for you, it’s all up to you.)
Benefits of Truck Bed Cover?
First of all, they look amazing, but there’s plenty of other reasons why choosing to purchase a roll-up tonneau cover is in your best interest.
They Can Improve Your Fuel Efficiency
Many experts believe that adding a hard tonneau cover can reduce the aerodynamic drag that is caused by the wind being pushed into the tailgate of the truck.
They’re Easy to Clean
All you need is a little warm water and some mild soap to clean off the muck that builds up. You can also use a vinyl cleaner because they contain protectants that can prolong the life of your cover.
All of Your Belongings Can Be Protected From the Elements
The roll up cover protects your bed from being rained or snowed on. It also stops things from flying out of the bed during windy weather.
No One Can See What’s in Your Bed
You don’t want people looking into the bed of your truck, noticing that you have thousands of dollars worth of tools in there. Using a roll-up tonneau on your truck keeps everything hidden from wandering eyes.
Stylish and Functional
Take your truck to a new level of style and functionality when you add a tonneau cover. At the same time improve your fuel efficiency by streamlining your vehicle and reducing drag. The choice of which tonneau would best suit your needs will depend on your budget, the amount of bed access that you require, and the vehicle that you drive. Whatever your choice, in the end, you are assured of a product that will protect the contents of your vehicle, save you money and improve the resale value of your truck.
How to Install Tonneau Cover
- The first thing you want to do is attach the rails that came with your tonneau cover to the bed of your truck.
- Next, you’ll align the rails and tighten all of the hardware until the rails are loosely held in place. Make sure you check the alignment, and if it looks okay, fully tighten all of the hardware.
- If your cover came with any tail-gate or cab-side seals, you’ll want to install them now.
- Set the cover on top of the rails to make sure that everything sits evenly. If it doesn’t, then you need to go back and check your rail alignment and adjust it as needed.
- Your final step is to check the perimeter for any visible gaps or bulges. If there isn’t any, you did a great job and you’re ready to go! If there are some gaps or bulges you need to go back and make sure everything is aligned correctly.
Frequently Asked Questions on Tonneau Cover
1. Do I Really Need a Tonneau Cover?
- If you own a pickup truck and you wish to preserve its truck bed against the elements – yes, you do.
- The thing is, although you can drive your pickup truck even without a tonneau cover, it’s much better to have one on board because it will improve your fuel consumption, protect your cargo against the elements, and look good on your truck bed.
2. Do Tonneau Covers Help with Gas Mileage?
- Yes, they do. (In an indirect way, though.)
- As you probably already know, the aerodynamics of a vehicle has plenty to do with how much gasoline it’s going to need to keep moving. The less aerodynamic the vehicle, the more gas it needs.
So, since installing a tonneau cover helps the aerodynamics of a pickup truck, it also has the capability of slightly improving the gas mileage.
3. How Tight Should a Tonneau Cover Be?
- Well, it should be tight enough so that it doesn’t rip or fall out of your truck as you’re driving it. (This only applies to softcover tonneau covers, of course.)
- The looser a tonneau cover is set, the higher the likelihood it’s going to flap around while you’re driving. This flapping can cause damage to the cover, so you should set it to be tight so that it doesn’t flap – but also not so tight that it can get damaged due to getting strained too much.
4. Do Tonneau Covers Keep Water Out?
- Yes, they do. (At least they’re supposed to.)
- Even the flimsiest tonneau covers are usually made out of waterproof materials because being able to fend off water, snow, and other forms of precipitation are essential to keeping your cargo safe while driving.
5. Is Soft or Hard Tonneau Cover Better?
- It’s either.
- It all depends on what purpose you need it. If you just want to cover the goods you’re transporting and keep the rain out, a simple soft tonneau cover would probably do the trick just fine.
- On the other hand, if you want something sturdier and wish to place different objects on that cover, a hard version may suit your needs better.
6. How Do You Keep a Tonneau Cover From Flapping?
- You tighten it.
- Pretty much every tonneau cover manufacturer out there on the market offers instructions on how to properly tighten your tonneau cover (in case it’s a soft one) so that it doesn’t flap in the wind.
Usually, there’s a mechanism where you can adjust the flapping to a level that suits you the best.
7. How Long Do Tonneau Covers Last?
- When taken care of properly, tonneau covers can last for years and even decades.
- There are some manufacturers of these covers so confident in the quality of their products, that they offer lifetime warranties. The thing is, tonneau covers are built to last, so as long as you take care of yours properly, you can rest assured that it will last you a very long time, indeed.
All in all, tonneau covers represent a special breed of pickup truck accessory that can truly do wonders in the department of fuel efficiency, aesthetics, and most importantly – cargo protection. We hope you found this article helpful and wish you all the best with your purchase.
Buying the perfect Truck Bed cover for the bed of your truck is an extremely important decision. One of the biggest mistakes first time buyers make is not buying the correct cover for their specific truck. Just remember, always make sure you measure the bed of truck before making any kind of purchase or you could end up having to find out the hard way that the cover doesn’t fit, and no one wants to have to pay to ship something back. Good luck finding the perfect topper for your truck. You won’t regret it once you’re driving down the road, not having to worry about all of your stuff flying out.