For many people, a truck is an essential lifestyle tool allowing them to carry bulky goods that may be required for work or recreation. The problem is that the goods in the back have no protection from the ravages of the weather, or from the prying eyes of would-be robbers.
There’s nothing you can do once that rain starts pouring in. Unless you have a cover on your truck, all of your things are going to get soaked and possibly ruined. That’s where a roll-up tonneau cover comes into play.
Tonneau cover, also known as a truck bed cover. Adding a tonneau cover to your vehicle improves its looks and gives it a streamlined and classy appearance.
Top 5 Picks: Recommended by Experts
Why Purchase a Hard Tonneau Cover?
There are many benefits of installing a tonneau on your vehicle, some are bellow.
- They will bear the weight of snow and will remain waterproof
- They are more secure since it is not easy to breach the hardcovers. It is easy to cut through a soft cover and steal the contents. Hardcovers typically lock in place so you can properly secure your goods. This means that you don’t have to remove your tools from the truck every night.
- A hard tonneau cover is durable and while saving you money on daily trips will also increase the resale value of your vehicle.
- Apart from protecting the goods from weather damage, the tonneau will also protect the truck bed from long-term weather damage, keeping out rust-causing
- It can improve fuel consumption by up to ten percent, so your investment will eventually pay for itself. The bed of an LDV tends to create air drag that increases fuel consumption, so adding a tonneau offers real financial benefits.
- It prevents the accumulation of dirt in the truck bed
- It protects your goods by covering them up so that they don’t tempt thieves
- It protects your goods from water damage, keeps goods clean and free of dust, and prevents them from blowing out of the truck.
10 Best Tonneau Covers Review
This roll-up tonneau cover is for 2002-2018 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks and 2003-2018 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks. The 24oz marine grade vinyl top is dual coated, which makes it perfect for keeping out the elements. The side rails and clamps are coated with heavy duty aluminum powder, making it nearly impossible for them to break.
The roll-up cover seals to your truck with strips of Velcro and is secured with a latch lock system at your tailgate. When done properly this cover isn’t going anywhere, keeping your belongings safe.
On the end of each of the side rails is an adjustable tension system which is used to keep the cover on nice and tight. No need to worry about wrinkles with a system like this.
The horizontal crossbars offer extra support when the cover is laying flat or rolled up.
With this cover you still have full access to the entire bed of your truck, so you don’t have to worry about not having enough storage space.
- The installation of the Tyger Auto TG-BC1D9014 TOPRO Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover is pretty simple, so you can spend less time on the installation and more time driving.
- The latches by the tailgate are extremely easy to work with, so you don’t have to fight trying to get out your tools at the worksite.
- Unfortunately, the cover allows a little bit of water in, but not enough to damage any kind of property.
The Tonno Pro is 6.4’ long and is made from marine grade black vinyl, which is double sided and tear resistant. In combination, the marine grade stitching, front flaps and gasket seal will keep your goods dry and dust free. It also has a tailgate seal. The sub-panels and the supporting beams are all made from durable aluminium, coated with black epoxy. Since vinyl does not dent this tonneau will look good for years.
This product is easy to instal using the patented side locking system. You will need just ten minutes to complete the installation, with no tools or drilling required. The cover comes fully assembled, so there is no need to install space taking rails, and when you take it off the rails go with it, so you have full bed capacity.
This is a tri-fold cover that has three hinged panels that fold up to open the bed. Tri-fold covers are a popular choice as they are rigid but light. You can remove the cover in just three minutes. It is light enough for one person to accomplish the task.
The product comes with a detachable LED light to illuminate the bed up when you require it. You also get a bottle of vinyl treatment spray. The manufacturer covers this product with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Relatively inexpensive
- Simple to install with patented side locking system
- Limited lifetime warranty
- The plastic latches are a little flimsy
2. BAK Industries BAKFlip MX4 Hard Folding Truck Bed Cover 448121 2014-18 GM Silverado, Sierra 6′ 6″
The BAKFlip MX4 is a 6.5’ hard foldaway cover that clears the bed effectively so that the entire bed is open for use. Prop rods will keep the cover out of the bed area. It has been designed to clear the brake light when folded up. There is no need to ever remove the cover since folded up the only obstruction you’ll face is to the rear window.
It can be raised from either side of the vehicle. It has plastic latches that keep it in place. The cover is made of several heavy-duty aluminum panels that are painted with a UV and scratch resistant matte coating. The tailgate seal is designed to allow you to close the cover whether or not the tailgate is open. The pull string system is easy to use. and effortlessly closes the heavy-duty aluminum, which with most other systems, would close with difficulty.
The low-profile cover is flush mounted and has an attractive finish that will enhance your vehicle’s good looks.
The tonneau is easy to install with no drilling required. Everything that you need to accomplish the installation is included in the kit. The product is covered by a three-year warranty period. It is made in the USA.
- 100% full bed access when folded up
- Durable UV scratch resistant matte finish
- The low profile cover offers your vehicle a stylish finish
- Easy installation
- Three-year warranty
- Very secure
- Relatively expensive
Designed for a 5.5’ bed, the MaxMate is made from double-sided marine grade vinyl. It has durable powder coated aluminum frames. The heavy-duty aluminum can support up to four hundred pounds evenly distributed. This is a three-fold tonneau cover that is connected by hinges. The stainless-steel clamps will not break or perish in the sun. the crossbars come fully assembled and when folded up will ensure that the bed is fully accessible. Two lanyards hold the folded top in position when you want to travel with the cover-up. It is light and easy to remove if you need to do so.
Installation is easy, and all hardware and installation instructions are included in the kit. No tools are required. Relies on a locking tailgate for security.
This product comes with a ten-year warranty and is relatively inexpensive. The cover is vinyl so a determined thief could cut is and remove the contents of the bed
- Easy installation
- Ten Year warranty
- Stainless steel clamps
- The vinyl is not as secure as aluminum
This cover will fit 5.5’ truck bed. It is made from dual sided marine grade scuff resistant vinyl. There are solid metal panels beneath the vinyl to secure your goods. The clamps ensure that the cover stays taut and secure at all times.
This product is fully assembled and easy to install. Installation should be accomplished in ten minutes with no need to drill since the cover is installed by means of simple clamps. The side panels and support beams are all made from durable aluminum which is coated with black epoxy.
To open you simply fold the cover up and keep it upright with the nylon ties made for that purpose
The product is covered by a limited lifetime warranty. The one downside of this product is that it does not open the full bed, opening just two-thirds of the way.
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Dentproof and scuff resistant Plastic latches may perish over time
- Easy ten-minute installation
- Durable and dent proof
- It does not open the full bed
This product is specifically designed for the Ford F150 built between 2015 and 2018, but could also be a fit for other vehicles with a 5.5’ bed. The solid panels are constructed from durable aluminum coated in a fiber glass reinforced polymer. The textured finish is UV resistant and dent and scratch resistant. It is equipped with EPDM seals to keep the weather out. It can bear three hundred pounds of evenly distributed weight.
The product has slam latches which easily secure it. It is easy to unlatch. The top is secured by the tailgate lock. It efficiently folds away allowing you full access to your load bed. This is accomplished by pulling the cables on either side of the bed. The folded top is secured by buckle straps, which allow you to use 66% of the bed space for transport. Prop rods will afford the full space by folding it up against the cab, without obscuring the third brake light. This tonneau is easy to install and comes with a clear set of installation instructions
Manufactured in the USA, it has a limited lifetime warranty.
- Fiberglass coated aluminum is durable
- Slam latches are very secure Plastic connectors
- Easy Installation
- Limited lifetime warranty
- A little pricey
The premium twill weave material used on this cover is engineered to be resistant to water, mold, UV and dirt. The texture of the twill weave material doesn’t trap any kind of dirt, making it easier to clean. Speaking of cleaning, there’s no need to use any kind of chemicals on this cover. All you need to do is rinse it down with some water and you’re good to go.
The rails and bows are made from heavy-duty aluminum, so there’s no risk of them bending while folding it up.
The cover comes complete with tension adjustment gages and a heavy-duty Velcro side sealing system, making it fit nice and tight for the bed of your truck.
The Lund 96893 Genesis Elite Roll-Up Tonneau Cover is designed specifically for your truck’s make, model and year, so you don’t have to worry about purchasing the wrong size.
The multi-finned rubber seal on the front and rear rail protects your truck bed from dust and moisture.
- The Lund 96893 Genesis Elite Roll-Up Tonneau Cover is extremely easy install, leaving you with more time to hit the open road.
- The locking clips are made out of plastic so they tend to break a lot more often.
- Water seems to be able to leak in where the straps are located in between the truck and the foam seal.
This cover is for 1988-2006 Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500 2500 3500 HD (Including 2007 Classic) trucks and it comes with dual coated 24oz marine grade vinyl top and heavy duty aluminum powder coated side rails and clamps. What more could you really ask for?
The roll-up cover seals to the truck with Velcro strips on the sides and is safely secured with a latch lock system at the tailgate. There’s no need to worry about your cover flying off mid-travel. You’re able to adjust the tightness of the cover yourself with the adjustable tension system on the end of the side rails. When the cover is laying flat and rolled up, extra support is offered by the pre-assembled horizontal crossbars. Nobody likes having to drill into their truck, but there’s no need to do any type of drilling to install the MaxMate Premium Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover.
Don’t worry if this cover gets a tear in it. The MaxMate Premium Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover comes with a no-hassle 10 year warranty!
- The MaxMate Premium Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover is super easy to install.
- The added support bars are bowed to provide better support and water flow off of the top.
- The cover seals everything extremely well, making sure that everything in your truck stays dry.
- The support bars rely on only a vinyl strip and Velcro to keep it up, so adding some extra support might be a good idea.
- Hopefully you know what you’re doing because the instructions that come with MaxMate Premium Roll Up aren’t the greatest.
The Gator Roll up is made with durable double coated vinyl, making it twice as thick to keep out unwanted water.
This roll-up is perfect for you if you use your truck to haul around your expensive tools. The latches are heavy duty, which provide you with extra security from intruders.
This cover will always be as tight as you need it to be with the manually adjustable tension controls. You’ll never have to be concerned with snow or rain getting into the bed of your truck.
Are you like most people and don’t get too excited about having to drill holes into your truck? Well, if you are then this roll-up is perfect for you because the install doesn’t require any kind of drilling!
If anything happens to your roll-up within the first year you’re absolutely covered under their warranty.
Are you tired of roll-ups that restrict the access to the bed of your truck? No need to look any further. This roll-up allows you to use the entire bed of truck.
- The installation of the Gator Roll-up is pretty simple, so you won’t need to call your buddy over to help you.
- The cross bars help to provide some added support to the cover.
- Unfortunately, some people have reported that the cover doesn’t hold water too well after it rains.
This roll-up is a bit more on the pricier side, but it’s definitely worth every single penny. With the dual-latching system, which can be accessed from either side of your truck, you’re provided with extra security for your possessions, leaving your mind at ease any time you need to walk away from your vehicle.
The Truxedo TruXport Roll-up cover is made of high-quality leather grain fabric that helps protect your cargo from the driest, wettest, or muddiest of conditions. What’s the point of covering up your things if they’re just going to get ruined every time you encounter some undesirable weather?
Unlike other models that only come with a one year warranty, or a limited warranty, the Truxedo TruXport comes with a five year warranty that covers everything, even the fabric!
- The installation of this roll-up is so easy that it only requires one person!
- The Truxedo TruXport is made of only the highest quality materials.
- The latches are a little hard to open.
- The cover tends to roll around a lot when you reach highway speeds.
Benefits of Truck Bed Cover?
First of all, they look amazing, but there’s plenty of other reasons why choosing to purchase a roll-up tonneau cover is in your best interest.
They Can Improve Your Fuel Efficiency
Many experts believe that adding a hard tonneau cover can reduce the aerodynamic drag that is caused by the wind being pushed into the tailgate of the truck.
They’re Easy to Clean
All you need is a little warm water and some mild soap to clean off the muck that builds up. You can also use a vinyl cleaner because they contain protectants that can prolong the life of your cover.
All of Your Belongings Can Be Protected From the Elements
The roll up cover protects your bed from being rained or snowed on. It also stops things from flying out of the bed during windy weather.
No One Can See What’s in Your Bed
You don’t want people looking into the bed of your truck, noticing that you have thousands of dollars worth of tools in there. Using a roll-up tonneau on your truck keeps everything hidden from wandering eyes.
Stylish and Functional
Take your truck to a new level of style and functionality when you add a tonneau cover. At the same time improve your fuel efficiency by streamlining your vehicle and reducing drag. The choice of which tonneau would best suit your needs will depend on your budget, the amount of bed access that you require, and the vehicle that you drive. Whatever your choice, in the end, you are assured of a product that will protect the contents of your vehicle, save you money and improve the resale value of your truck.
How to Install Tonneau Cover
- The first thing you want to do is attach the rails that came with your tonneau cover to the bed of your truck.
- Next, you’ll align the rails and tighten all of the hardware until the rails are loosely held in place. Make sure you check the alignment, and if it looks okay, fully tighten all of the hardware.
- If your cover came with any tail-gate or cab-side seals, you’ll want to install them now.
- Set the cover on top of the rails to make sure that everything sits evenly. If it doesn’t, then you need to go back and check your rail alignment and adjust it as needed.
- Your final step is to check the perimeter for any visible gaps or bulges. If there isn’t any, you did a great job and you’re ready to go! If there are some gaps or bulges you need to go back and make sure everything is aligned correctly.
Buying the perfect Truck Bed cover for the bed of your truck is an extremely important decision. One of the biggest mistakes first time buyers make is not buying the correct cover for their specific truck. Just remember, always make sure you measure the bed of truck before making any kind of purchase or you could end up having to find out the hard way that the cover doesn’t fit, and no one wants to have to pay to ship something back. Good luck finding the perfect topper for your truck. You won’t regret it once you’re driving down the road, not having to worry about all of your stuff flying out.